Pages



4/27/11

Day Trip ~ Stawberry Picking, Flowers and More!

Strawberries are one of my favorite indicators that Summer is near, and I can't help but notice they are on display everywhere, from Whole Foods to our local farmers market. 
Which got me thinking: Being that we live in the agricultural bowl, there must be somewhere for me to pick a basket of my own. Lucky, I was right, and this weekend feel free to join me for a quick day trip to The Carlsbard Strawberry Company.
The Carlsbad Strawberry Company is a family owned farm occupying 80 acres of land that has been in operation since 1948 and is now in its third generation. 
There are a few rules you need to know before you go:
1) Purchase a bucket before you start picking: Small $8 and Large $15. Cash Only.
2) Don't overflow your bucket. If you stack to much, you'll bruise the poor berries at the bottom. 
3) Feel free to pick and eat as much as you like.– in fact, they provide water for you to wash the berries before you eat them. 
4) Please don't step on the strawberries.
Once you have loaded up on berries, take a quick drive to The Flower Fields before heading home. 50 acres of extraordinary color in bloom the farm sits on a hillside overlooking the Pacific Ocean, I've heard its like standing in a sea of color. Admission is $10 and they’re only open (and blooming) until May 10th. So go now!
Get me there: Click this link for directions from downtown LA. It should take you approximately 1.5 hrs each way.
Give me food: Eat fresh berries silly and please feel free to share any great strawberry recipes you may have in the comments below!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment